Walmart is closing hundreds of Sam’s Clubs, and many were closed today without any notice. Many employees had no idea their stores were being closed, and only found out when they showed up for work and saw that the stores were shut down, or attended a last-minute meeting this morning letting them know. So far, as of the time of publication, Walmart has not released an official list of which stores are closing. Walmart told Business Insider that 63 locations were going to be closed. However, other sources are indicating that possibly more stores than that will ultimately be closing. Jessica Buckner, an audit team lead with Sam’s in Anchorage, said that she had heard more than 260 stores might be closed, CBS News reported. Sam’s Club said about the closings on Twitter: “After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition.”
If you’re looking to get the cash rewards you’re still owed on your membership, even though your club closed, or if you’re wanting to get a refund on what’s left of your Sam’s Club membership because you no longer have a store to visit, Sam’s Club has said that members can private message them on Twitter for details. To just cancel your membership, here’s a direct link.
Below is a list of stores that have been listed as closed by media sources or on social media so far. Many of the stores were closed today for markdowns, will reopen on Friday, and then permanently close no later than Jan. 26. Other stores that aren’t closed today might still ultimately be closed over the next few weeks. This list is likely not exhaustive. If your store’s not listed, you can still check Sam’s Club’s Club Finder to see if your club is still listed on the website. Sam’s Club has said on Twitter that if it is, then the store is still open (at least at this time.) Here is what we know so far about closed Sam’s Club stores, in alphabetical order by state. If you know of a Sam’s Club store that is closed and isn’t listed, please let us know in the comments below.
Jessica Buckner, an audit team lead for Sam’s in Anchorage, has said that all Sam’s Club stores in Alaska are closing down.
Manchester: 69 Pavilions Dr. (According to Business Insider)
Five of the 19 stores in Illinois will be closing, according to Patch.com. But Business Insider listed more than five. Here’s what we know so far:
- Romeoville on 460 S. Weber Road: Closing despite year-after-year sales growth since opening in 2013. They were not notified until Thursday. It will reopen on Friday and then close permanently on Jan. 26.
- Naperville: Closed today but reopening temporarily on Friday. 808 S. Illinois Rte 59
- Batavia: 501 N. Randall Rd (According to Business Insider)
- Matteson: 21430 S. Cicero Ave.
- Streamwood: 900 S. Barrington Rd. (According to Business Insider)
- Wheeling: 1055 McHenry Rd. (According to Business Insider)
Some stores in Louisiana are closing, according to CBS.
- Budd Lake: 81 International Dr. S (According to Business Insider)
- Linden: Closed
- Mount Olive: The store did not open its doors on Thursday, without any warning. The pharmacy will be open through January 27. Employees were informed during a 9 a.m. meeting on Thursday, which they were only told to attend on Wednesday night. The employees may be transferred to other Walmart and Sam’s Club stores in the area.
Some stores in New York are closing, according to CBS. These include:
- Jamestown: 720 Fairmount Ave (According to Business Insider)
- Syracuse location at 2649 Erie Boulevard East. It was closed Thursday but will temporarily reopen on Friday before permanently closing on Jan. 26. It’s closed today for markdowns.
- Rochester: Henrietta Town Supervisor Stephen Schultz said that Rochester’s two Sam’s Clubs, in Henrietta and Greece, would be permanently closed later this month. 700 Elmridge Center Dr. and 1600 Marketplace Dr.
- West Ellicot: A store near Chatauqua will close on Jan. 16, per WRFA.
Some stores in Tennessee are closing, according to CBS.
Houston: At least three stores closing.
- 13331 Westheimer Road at Eldridge Parkway
- 2296 Marketplace Drive in New Caney
- S Loop Store at Fannin Street
San Antonio: A store in north San Antonio is closing.
- West Allis: 1540 S. 108th St. It’s closed today and will reopen at 10 a.m. on Friday, January 12, and stay open for at least five days before closing permanently. Merchandise will be marked down.
The manager of a Sam’s Club in Wisconsin confirmed with the Journal Sentinel that the two stores above are the only ones closing in Wisconsin. The Waukesha Sam’s Club, which was originally reported as closing, is actually going to stay open.
This is a developing story and this list will be updated as more information is available. If you know of other stores that are closing, please let us know in the comments below.