Download Video Links
The release of the Xbox One X gave Microsoft the most powerful console on the market right now and as a result it has boosted the performance of several titles. You can find a list of games that are currently Xbox One X enhanced here and today the list has grown to include another title.
Fortnite, and its battle royale mode, have both received enhancements to take advantage of the stronger hardware of the Xbox One X. Most Xbox One X titles boost the resolution up from 900p/1080p to a full 4K or something close to it. Fortnite received a similar treatment but there isn’t a way to boost the resolution but it has not received any way to boost the framerate.
An option for an unlocked framerate is available on the PS4 and PC versions of the game but curiously not available on Xbox One as of yet. It was available a few patches ago but it has since been removed. With no word of the framerate being boosted, you can expect it to remain the same at 30 FPS.
Here are the full patch notes for the Xbox One version of Fortnite:
- Fortnite now supports Xbox One X in 4K!
- Fortnite on Xbox One X pushes the game’s visual settings comparable to what you’d see on a PC set to “Epic” quality.
- This includes better-quality reflections (including screen space reflections being enabled); higher quality post processes like motion blur, anti-aliasing, and depth of field; great draw distances; more detailed foliage; shadow casting enabled on more lights and objects; and higher resolution textures and shadows.
- Content is rendered at 80% of 4K and then upsampled to 4K via a high-quality software upsampler. The HUD is rendered in 4K.
- Removed the black artifacts that appear while sprinting on Xbox One.
- Fixed an Xbox One only issue which prevented players from logging in if they signed out and quickly signed back into their Xbox One live account in-game.
This patch, which is available today, not only gives the Xbox One X a boost but it also gives players a new item called the Smoke Grenade to play with. This grenade will be non-lethal but it will create a cloud of smoke which will give players cover to either escape or attack. This new grenade will only be available in the Battle Royale portion of the game.
The “rocket riding” bug that was found by players as part of the Fortnitemares event is staying in the game and has been patched to work with the normal rockets. The big was first found with the pumpkin rockets and players have since used the bug to surf on rockets.
Today’s patch also brought an end to the prolonged Halloween event so we’ll have to stay tuned to a Christmas event. We would certainly liked to see some snow-themed rockets and other items in the future.
For more Fortnite: Battle Royale coverage, content and guides stay with us here at Heavy. Make sure you check out the rest of our gaming coverage too.